Search This Blog

Monday, May 14, 2007

The Most Popular List

Something that's always troubled me is how Jdate determines who's worthy to be included on their "most popular" list. Every time I click to search by "most popular," I'm always left thinking, "Really? THEY'RE the most popular?" Can you pay extra to be included on that list? Is it something that's voted on by friends, family, or the general public? Is it all a joke? Are the same people that kept voting for that freaky dude on American Idol voting for the "most popular" people on Jdate?

I can see it now: Text 004 for the woman who'll only date guys who are at least 6 feet tall even though she's 4'11...Text 005 for the woman who won't date "losers," but barely graduated high school and works as a cashier at Duane Reade. Text 006 for the woman who's 47, but lists herself as 32 because she's tired of getting emails from men old enough to be her younger brother.

I have to assume that there is some computer generated system by which the people who get the most views, emails, IMs, etc. have the honor bestowed upon them of being the "most popular." I'm doubtful, however, of any system that tells me there are 20,000 people online at any given time when I keep seeing the same 100 or so profiles as I scroll through page after page, after page, after page....

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

been wondering the very same thing for years. gotta be some kind of formula.

Anonymous said...

So true about the older women listing themselves as younger. There's one woman on a site i'm on who's been 34 for the past 3 years.

Anonymous said...

plenty of the most popular men are questionable too.

JDateJoe said...

You'd think that it was an intelligent system that would weigh the different things like, emailed, hotlisted, IMed, viewed, etc. Perhaps even in that order, but I'm pretty sure it's not. I think it's based on views, or perhaps better yet evenly weighted so if you want you could actually, "win at jdate" so to speak by just getting people to view your profile.

JDateJoe said...

But who cares who the most popular is? Do you actually view the search results in that order? I sure don't. The 'popular' people are typically the ones I steer clear of.

Marc said...

I view by who's online, most active, most popular just to mix it up and to try and get some variety. Unfortunately, you wind up seeing the same profiles now matter how you search.

Anonymous said...

i'm one of those 'older women' who occasionally puts my profile up at a younger age-- i do it to see who else is out there since it feels like men have a cut off of 35. my mother met her current husband by posing as younger and she told him on their first date. they wouldn't have met if she'd been honest in her profile.

Anonymous said...

actually the most popular are the ones who are online most - not who are looked at most etc

dating women online said...

I'm pretty sure on jdate it just goes by who is online the most. Kind of silly if you ask me.